Popular Posts

Follow by Email

Followers

Friday, January 4, 2008

World Hunger Satisfied

I told my husband recently that I was so hungry for more of God and what He has promised the Church would be and do. I actually ache to experience the ability to go about doing good and healing all who are oppressed by the devil either in sickness or in other ways. My husband always looks scared when I say things like that. I think he is afraid I am going to go off the deep end and not ever surface again as the sweet, cheery and serving wife he likes having around. He wasn’t ever fond of the super religious person he was afraid I could become. He doesn’t like her because she disrupts his life. She spends more time talking to God than to him and spontaneously does what she “hears” God saying without asking if it seems right to her husband. That person – that religious person – spends money in ways he doesn’t understand or appreciate. She serves the church more and the home less. She wants to study and pray rather than watch tv. So, when I told him I wanted to go deeper and that I hungered for a richer relationship with God, his eyes got big and his mouth tightened. Tension moved into the room to stay that day. It is getting better though.

But I hunger. Whether or not I tell anyone about it, God knows the hunger in my heart for more of Him. Communion, relationship, unification. Those are the promises for those who are His. A few months ago, He called me to spend a month of taking communion as I studied it. It did deepen my relationship with Him. It made me so aware of what He has done to restore me. It made me grateful for His grace in ways I hadn’t understood before His call to meditate on what His blood and body purchased for me. But still, there was more. I know there is more, and I hunger for it.

The Passover communion – taken on that first Passing over of the death angel in Egypt, spoke loudly of God’s desire for people. The lamb, to be without blemish, a male of the first year, was to be slain for each “house” (family). If the family was too small to be able to eat the whole lamb, they were to share it with another family so that none was wasted. The blood, drained from the perfect lamb was to be painted on the doorposts and lintel of each house. When the angel of death saw the blood, it could not enter the home and could not destroy that family. What a thing to meditate on! Immediately the words of Paul to the Philippian jailer came to mind, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved, you and your household.” (Acts 16:31). The angel sent to Cornelius, a Roman Centurian, also made this claim to him when he said for him to send for Peter to give him the gospel, “and he shall speak words to you by which you will be saved, you and all your household.” (Acts 11:14). The blood saves whole households of those who believe.

After putting the blood of the lamb on the doorposts and lintel of the home, Israel was then to eat the meat of the lamb. H. Clay Trumball wrote in “The Blood Covenant” that “the flesh of the chosen lamb was to be eaten by the Israelites, reverently, as an indication of that inter-communion {with God}.” The eating of the sacrifice became a way to show unification and communion with God. It was as if God Himself had been slain and mankind was allowed to partake of His nature by eating His flesh. Doesn’t that make what Jesus said so much more understandable to us?

John 6:53
53 Jesus therefore said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.
(NAS)

The life Jesus is referring to here is the life God breathed into Adam and made him the image and likeness of God. It is the life that went away (you shall surely die) when Adam sinned by eating the fruit God told him not to eat. This is the life that Jesus offered to those who eat His flesh and drink His blood. Only those who do so can have the life He offered. Only those who understand and partake of His flesh and His blood can partake of His nature. Do you hunger for His nature? I do. I want the more, or the greater He promised to those who believes (Jn 14:12). I believe. I believe. To the world and the worldly, it is silly, but I believe. But will it be silly to them when I am filled and I spill out this life onto them? They are hungry, do you see it as I do? They are so hungry for something or someone bigger and better than themselves to hope in. They are starving for God, they just don’t know what to call it. I feel it is my responsibility to fill up on Him and then take Him to the world around me. How can I do less, if I am of His nature? How can I not feed the world if I am of His kind of Spirit (Jn 9:54-55). If I am of His kind of Spirit, I will want to call down love, and all love is and does instead of the fires of judgment and condemnation. I hunger. Oh how I hunger! And I desire to feed the world that I know hungers too. Then I will be in relationship to Him and all He is. Then I will be unified to His Spirit and life.

John 15:4-84 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in Me.5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing.6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch, and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.7 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you.8 "By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.(NAS)

I abide in Jesus, Father, fill me. No matter what it looks like to the people around me. No matter how odd I look, sound or seem – fill me. I hunger for the greater. Amen, so be it to me according to Your word of truth. Amen.

No comments: